Friday 21 May 2010

Fandom!

I havent done the reading for this week, simply because of excessive workload and other things, and as John keeps telling us he doesnt intend to drain us out with media culture. What I found was that because of the constant reading, Im beginning to get bored and the readings are becoming more of a chore, so I decided that instead of posting a reading on this week, what I will do instead is talk about Fandom, and my opinion based on the lecture we had.
In  the lecture notes, what I found particularly interesting was the the concept of  "Fan devotion, which was also multiple Fandom". Ultimately films like Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings and more recently Twilight came to mind. Being a fan of Lord of the Rings and Xmen, I wondered why these particualar films had multiple fandoms... My guess is its probably because its a box-set, its also based on a series of actions and films. This makes it possible for the audience to actually watch the films, and relate to the characters. For example with X-men, I  found myself developing a sort of relationship with Wolverine, a character played by Hugh jackman in the first film, by the 3rd film, I had grown so fond of him, my allegiance so to speak had been formed, I knew what team I belonged to. This would possibly apply to the audience of Twilight as well. A lot of fans will have formed some sort of admiration of Edward in the first film New moon before Edward in New Moon, and by the third film Epic, will have clearly established their allegiance.
Furthermore I found the concept of shipping very interesting, as I was able to put this in perspective. For example in X-men, the fictional character Phoenix and Cyclops were in a relationship, however this was almost threatened by the arrival of Wolverine.. I found this very exciting, and found myself wishing wolverine and Phonenix, also known as Jean Gray would be involved romantically. After rthis lecture, I was able to ask myself why I wanted Wolverine and Phoenix together instead of her relationship with Cyclops, and I was able to think it had to do with heterosexuality. The fact that Wolverine was a more appealing, strong, muscular character, which I find appealing.
I know right, I dont seem like a girl who would watch X-men... well i guess you have no clue... I am one who watches Epics... and action packed super-hero fims.. As I write this blog, I am soooo excited about the release of  Prince of Persia, Robin Hood.. and I still havent seen Clash of the Titan.. I need the academic term to be over.. sorry John! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment