Wednesday 19 May 2010

Indie culture not so individual!


Whilst doing my reading on popular music, one thing kept going through my mind.. Indie music which I am so much a fan of. The indie culture is one which I am very much a part of and relate to. The indie culture is known as anything which is anti mainstream. My love for alternative music is one which falls into this category, the love for alternative form of entertainment, for example indie club nites etc.
The concept of pseudo individualisation is one which interested me, as it is somewhat reflective of todays indie scene. The indie music scene is one which still tries to portray and individual and alternative style of music for its listeneres, however more artists within this genre tend to be crossing over to mainstream music, for example Kings of Leon, probably for financial gains. However most of these bands still hide behind the individual concept.
This concept can also be applied to other aspects of indie culture, even the fashion aspect of this culture, where the need to be different and eclectic is the norm. I have found that stores like Urban Outfitters which is a popular choice for the consumers of this lifestyle. I found that they are selling the idea of pseudo individualisation to their customers, whilst in actual fact  their products are standardised to fit into the "expensive high street store" which also suits a mainstream customer.
Furthermore, I also found that the concept of  industrialisation could be applied to this culture.Popular music can be seen as ‘industrial’ in the way it is mass produced and centralised in its economic organisation. The way that indie fashion is mass produced for examples in stores like Topshop, urban outfitters, Allsaints is very industrialised. This does make me wonder is the indie culture I love not so individual anymore???

No comments:

Post a Comment